Garbage & Waste

NETCHD is involved in permitting and monitoring how garbage and other waste is handled in Ferry, Pend Oreille and Stevens Counties. The Health District works to assure compliance with:

Garbage Disposal & Recycling Facilities

Garbage must be disposed of at an approved Solid Waste Facility. Listed below are approved facilities in Ferry, Pend Oreille and Stevens counties: 

Recyclable materials, such as appliances, construction debris, yard waste and metals, may be disposed at recycling centers for specific items. 

  • Ferry County
  • Pend Oreille County 
  • Stevens County

If you are a facility owner or are planning to start operations please see the: Notice of Intent to Operate an Exempt Recycling or Materials Recovery Facility

Garbage & Waste Complaints

We investigate complaints concerning the following activities: 

  • Illegal dumping on private or public property without the owner's permission
  • Improper storing of hazardous waste
  • Burning of non-vegetative materials
  • Uncontained putrescible garbage or excessive amounts of waste

When a complaint is reported, we investigate the concern and work to resolve the issue with involved parties. 

Who can file a complaint? 

Any individual or agency may file a complaint with the Health District if they believe a public health violation has occurred or when there is dissatisfaction with conditions that may be the responsibility of the Health District. 

Generally, the Health District does not disclose information on who files complaints. However, we may be required to release identifying information in response to a public records request or court order, per RCW 42.56, information is not release when revealing the identity of a person who files a complaint would endanger their life, physical safety, or property. Complaints can be filed anonymously, however not providing contact information may limit our ability to properly follow-up and investigate the complaint. 

How to file a complaint?

Contact the Health District by phone, online, or in person at any of our office locations.  

Please be prepared to provide the following information: 

  • What the problem is? Briefly describe the type of nuisance and how often it is occurring. 
  • Where is the problem? Street address or cross streets, city, zip code, and any land marks that will help us locate the site. 
  • What kind of material is involved? What type of garbage or waste? 
  • How much is there? 

Conditions Investigated By Other Agencies

Conditions Investigated by Other Agencies

Northeast Tri County Health District does not investigate the following types of complaints. Resources are provided below on who to contact.