Order a Birth or Death Record
As of January 1, 2021, there were changes in Washington State that affect the requirements for ordering birth and death certificates.
Get the latest information from the Washington State Department of Health Vital Records website.
Summary of Changes:
- Only people with specific relationships to the person on the birth or death record can receive a certified copy.
- You must provide documents that show proof of your identity and your relationship.
- The cost of the certificate increased to $25.00 per copy
- Anyone can still order non-certified informational copies of birth and death records that cannot be used for legal purposes.
Ordering a Certified Birth or Death Certificate (certified copy)
Order certified birth or death certificates online through the Washington State Department of Health's (DOH) official vendor - VitalChek
To apply for a birth or death certificate by mail, you must submit proof of eligibility and identity documents:
- Complete all fields on the form.
- Attach a copy of government-issued photo ID. Examples include:
- Driver's License
- State-Issued ID
- Photo Page of Passport
- Include your payment. We only accept checks/money orders payable to: NETCHD, or credit/debit card payments.
- Mail completed order form, all documents, and nonrefundable payment to: Northeast Tri County Health District
240 E Dominion Avenue
Colville, WA 99114
Eligibility and Identity Documents
Information regarding who can request official birth and death certificates and what documents are accepted to prove your relationship.
- Who can request birth and death certificates?
Ordering Non-Certified, Informational Copies of Birth and Death Records
Anyone can order non-certified, informational copies of birth and death records.
- Non-certified informational copies cannot be used for legal purposes.
- They are often used for genealogy or family history purposes.
Get more information about ordering non-certified copies of birth and death records:
- Ordering an informational only birth or death records - Birth and Death Informational Copies Order Form
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) from the DOH website
Newborn Birth Certificates
Requests for birth certificates for newborns can take several weeks to process.
If the parents are not married, it may take additional processing time. Find more information about Acknowledgement of Parentage from the DOH website.
You can order birth and death certificates for records outside of Washington State by:
- Contacting the state or local health department where the event occurred.
- Ordering them through VitalChek
For information on how to order marriage and divorce records, visit the Washington State Department of Health Vital Records website.