Several growing fires are occurring all around us, with smoke coming primarily from Oregon and California at the moment. We are in the works with getting another air monitor set up in Republic.
Newport, Inchelium and Wellpinit are at Unhealthy. People with health conditions like asthma, respiratory infection, lung or heart disease should limit spending any time outdoors and avoid strenuous outdoor activities.
Colville is at Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. People with health conditions and children under 18, adults over 65, pregnant women and people who smoke should limit any time outdoors. People with health conditions may have worsened symptoms. Increase rest periods as needed.
Listed below are helpful resources to determine air quality status, activity recommendations, and ways to improve air quality within school buildings.
- Understanding the air quality conditions is fairly straightforward with this helpful guide https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/1802024.pdf
- You can check statewide air quality conditions at https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/ . Local monitoring stations currently exist in Wellpinit, Inchelium, and Colville. There are neighboring monitor stations in Post Falls and Spokane.
- Use the Air Pollution and School Activities Guide PDF to determine if air quality conditions warrant activity restrictions.
- If wildfire smoke impairments exist in your area, use the Improving Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality During Wildfire Smoke Events handout that provides recommendations for schools with mechanical ventilation.
- Additional information about local fires, smoke, and air quality forecasting can be found at Washington Smoke Information.