Several growing fires are occurring all around us, with smoke coming primarily from Oregon and California at the moment.
Newport was at Unhealthy at 2am this morning; the monitor seems to be down at the moment. Outdoor activity is not recommended. Cancel or move outdoor events to areas with “Good” air quality.
Colville, Inchelium and Wellpinit are at Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. People with asthma, respiratory infection, lung or heart disease should limit any time outdoors. People with health conditions may have worsened symptoms. Increase rest periods as needed.
Listed below are helpful resources to determine air quality status, activity recommendations, and ways to improve air quality within school buildings.
- Understanding the air quality conditions is fairly straightforward with this helpful guide https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/1802024.pdf
- You can check statewide air quality conditions at https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/ . Local monitoring stations currently exist in Wellpinit, Inchelium, and Colville. There are neighboring monitor stations in Post Falls and Spokane.
- Use the Air Pollution and School Activities Guide PDF to determine if air quality conditions warrant activity restrictions.
- If wildfire smoke impairments exist in your area, use the Improving Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality During Wildfire Smoke Events handout that provides recommendations for schools with mechanical ventilation.
- Additional information about local fires, smoke, and air quality forecasting can be found at Washington Smoke Information.